Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The National Family Island Regatta

We saw the first race of the regatta today.  It was the dinghy class with small sailboats.  They all start at anchor with sails down.  Some of the boats with two people aboard did well because one can raise the sail while the other pulls the anchor.  Some boats just had one person so they were a bit slower to start but able to catch up because they were lighter.  We have seen several strategies but the one that worked the best was the boat that put their anchor way out in front of the starting line and pulled it up fast to gain speed while the sail was raised.  
This is the 60th annual race and they race small dinghies all the way up to A class sloops.  The harbor is full of excitement and everyone is happy.

We were able to find the bread lady which turned out to be the bread husband and it tasted great.  Bought it yesterday and it is already gone.

Another odd thing happened to me (Staci).  While swimming with Samantha beside our boat today I was attacked by a white crab.  It is one of my biggest fears to get bitten by something in the water, that and sinking but everyone handled it well.  At first I thought that Samantha had scraped me with her toe nail then I realized as I looked back behind us as I got scratched again that is wasn't Samantha.  Samantha was calm and got back on the boat while I panicked because I didn't want her to get pinched.  My recent nick name on the boat is "Melodrama Momma".  I have to say I earn that nick name daily.
No big injury except a small scratch of the skin by the pinchers but I wonder what I did to piss off the crab?

Nicholas and Samantha are loving the beach but are now trying out the kayak once in a while.  One person walked by as Nick was on the kayak and said to Paul he was handing over the keys to the car a bit early.  We all laughed about it but Nicholas didn't quite get the humor of it considering he just turned 5.
Nicholas says "whew! that is a lot of work"

For those of my PT fellows.  I thought you might get a kick out of this vendor sponsor.

One of the larger sloops being off-loaded from the big mail boat.

This is Nicholas's classroom.  The navigation station is now known as the 5 year old classroom.

This is the 6 year old classroom.  We have a great time.

The first race we just saw today from our dinghy. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I recognize those Thrive cans in your galley! Jay and I live on that stuff :)

    I'm glad you're having such a grand time and I love living vicariously through you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't have to piss one off they are called a crab for a reason ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave us a comment or question.